Welcome to my blog! I hope you'll enjoy my little writing~:-) Please make lots of comments!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Lord of the Flies: Q6

  • Please choose one passage from the novel that is significant to you.
  • Why is this passage meaningful?
  • Please type it into one of your entries and comment on what you think about the passage.

“Fancy thinking the Beast was something you could hunt and kill!” said the head. For a moment or two the forest and all the other dimly appreciated places echoed with the parody of laughter. “You knew, didn’t you? I’m part of you? Close, close, close! I’m the reason why it’s no go? Why thing are what they are?” (Lord of the Flies, Chp.8)


This passage was just so meaningful to me, because before reading this passage, I just didn’t have any little guess about what the Lord of the Flies is, and why is it so important to be the title of the novel. This passage is the most important passage that the author is trying to emphasize, I think. It’s revealing the truth that the Lord of the Flies is not a physical beast that the boys in the island are afraid of, but actually a ‘spiritual beast’ inside our own self. It is telling us the fear we have in our own self, and how we also don’t realize by ourselves that we have evil nature innately born with.

I also didn’t know that the evil nature in us could be disposed in such a violent and savage way. When I first read the novel, I thought that the author was just going too extremely, and exaggerating about the human nature, but when I was answering question 2, I really saw the related situation that was occurring in the real life here. I also was wondering, when the world and the human nature started to be so destroyed; when did people just leave the common sense and the rules, organization, and society.

This again brings that Christians are the only one to save the people’s life, because that is what God expects us to be doing right now. This is why God is being still about the situations that are happening all over the world, and not punishing like He did in the old days, because we, as the faithful follower of God, should be going out there, making some differences and giving impacts to the ‘worldly people’.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

nice passage. I think that this is the most important passage in order to know what the beast really is. hmmm, maybe i should have written about this one. good job:)

Joan Kim said...

Grace, haha, you wrote a great passage from the story. =)I had chosen almost same one that you wrote. So it was easy to see your points. I think you are very clear with the reason why you think you chose this passage that is significant to you. Also I am impressed how you relate this passage to God as a Christian's liFe.